1. Do you have a pet? Imagine that your pet could speak for a day. What do you think it would say?
2. Write about your favorite animal. What would a day in the life of that animal be?
3. Imagine that you were a dog and that you have forgotten where you buried your bone. Write a story about how you finally find (or don’t find) the bone.
4. Write a story about a dog that finds the biggest dinosaur bone of his life. What do you think the dog would do?
5. Write about a day in the life of your favorite dinosaur.
6. Imagine what the last day on Earth was like for the Dinosaurs.
7. What is your favorite reptile and why?
8. Write a detailed story about a day in the life of your favorite reptile.
9. What do you think it would be like to be a bird? What kind of bird would you be and why? Where would you live and what kinds of exotic lands would you migrate to?
10. What is your favorite book? Write a different ending to that book. What would happen to the main characters at the end?
11. Write a sequel to your favorite movie. If it was a serious movie, write a humorous sequel and vice versa.
12. What would life be like if you were a desperate housewife (or a desperate “husband”)?
13. Write about what you would do and think if you were in the same dilemma as the main character in your favorite movie.
14. Think about the last time you were in trouble. Write about what you could have done differently and how that would have changed everything.
15. Write about the last time you laughed really hard. Who were you with and what made you laugh so much?
16. What do you think it would be like to be a deep sea fish? What kinds of things would you see? Old ship wrecks? Exotic creatures?
17. Write about a day in the life of a mermaid. Would it be all fun and games or would life be dangerous?
18. What would it be like to be lost at sea? What kind of survival techniques would you have to use in order to survive?
19. Write about being on a treasure hunt. Who would you take with you and why? Would your treasure be tangible or intangible?
20. Have you ever watched the sun set on the ocean? Write about the experience. What kinds of colors did you see? What did it smell like, and who were you with?
21. Imagine what it would be like to watch the sunrise on a tropical island. Why would you be on the island in the first place and who would you be watching the sunrise with?
22. If you were to write a message in a bottle, what would it say? Would you want someone to find it?
23. Write a message to your 16-year-old self.
24. Write a message that you would receive from your 16-year-old self.
25. Write a message to your 100-year-old self.
26. Write a message that you would receive from your 100-year-old self.
27. What is a story with a life lesson that you would want to recount for your children or your grandchildren?
28. What kinds of things would you put in a time capsule and why? How long would you burry the capsule for and who would you want to find it?
29. Write a short story beginning with the sentence: “There was a giant wave heading straight towards us!”
30. Write a story beginning with the sentence: “When I got on the plane, I had no idea where I would end up.”
31. Imagine what it would be like to be a king or queen. How would you rule? Do you think you would be a good king or queen?
32. Think about some of your closest friends. Now write an alter ego for each person.
33. Think about some of your distant relatives. Write about what a day in their life would be like.
34. Think of some of your distant relatives and make up a story about a historical moment they could have witnessed (i.e. the Titanic sinking, 911, the Civil War, World War I or II).
35. Write a story from the point of view of someone that was on the Titanic.
36. Write a story about being the captain of a sinking ship.
37. Write a story about a soldier that fought in World War I.
38. Write a story from the point of view of a soldier that fought in World War II.
39. Write about what it must have been like to be in Europe during World War II.
40. Write a story from the perspective of a soldier that fought in the American Civil War.
41. Imagine that you are a slave that has just been freed. What is first thing you would do?
42. Imagine what it would be like to be a slave. Describe the type of work you would be forced to do and how you would escape.
43. Imagine that your neighbors have a slave. What would you do and would you help the person escape?
44. Imagine that a man wanted by the police knocks on your door and asks for help. The man says that he is innocent but the news says otherwise. What would you do? Would you help him?
45. Write the story of a survivor of a sinking ship.
46. Write a story from the point of view of a plane crash survivor.
47. Write a story about someone that won the lottery. What would they feel and how would they spend the money?
48. Write about the luckiest moment of your life.
49. Write about a friend’s lucky moment from their point of view.
50. Do you know how to ride a bike? Do you remember the day that you learned how to ride a bike? Describe how it felt. Were you scared or excited?
51. Do you have a bicycle? What kinds of gizmos and gadgets would you put on it to make it the perfect bike?
52. Have you ever ridden a bike along the coast? Imagine what it would be like to take a bike ride on a boardwalk on a beautiful summer’s day.
53. What would you do if you saw someone stealing a bicycle?
54. Imagine being stuck in the middle of the jungle and the only items you have are a bicycle, a pocket knife and your favorite book.
55. Write about the kinds of creatures you might meet in a jungle and what you would do if you had to survive a week, alone, in the jungle.
56. Imagine what it would be like to be raised by gorillas and leopards in the jungle. Now imagine what it would be like to leave the jungle and live in New York City.
57. Imagine being a multi-millionaire stranded in the jungle for a month. How did you get there? What kinds of challenges would you have to face to survive each day?
58. Imagine what it would be like to be a millionaire and never have to work again. What would you do every day? What would you do with all of that money?
59. If you could buy a lifetime supply of one kind of food, what kind would you buy and why?
60. If you won a car and a lifetime supply of gasoline, where would you go and why?
61. If you could go to any country to live and work, where would you go and why?
62. Start a story with the sentences: “I didn’t know what they were saying or where I was. This is sometimes a problem with being in a foreign country.”
63. What would it be like to steal a car? What would make you steal a car and what kind of car would you steal?
64. What would it be like to go to jail for stealing a car?
65. Write the story or a robbery from the robber’s point of view.
66. Write a story from the point of view of a bystander in a bank robbery.
67. Write a story about one of the most peaceful moments in your life.
68. What was one of the best meals of your life? What did you eat? What did it smell like? Was the meal for a special occasion?
69. Write the story of a grain of rice from the seed in a field to the table at a Chinese restaurant.
70. Write the story of a tree that has lived 100 years.
71. Write the story of the sea.
72. Write your own myth about how the universe came into existence.
73. Write the story of how Mt. Everest came to be.
74. Imagine that you are the first person to summit Mt. Everest. What did it feel like? How long did it take you?
75. Write the story of how a candy cane is made. It doesn’t matter if you know the facts, use your imagination.
76. Write about how your dog feels about you from their point of view.
77. Imagine if you were a python. What kinds of things would you see and where would you live?
78. What would it be life to live as an Eskimo? Think about how cold it would be but how satisfying it would be to be completely self-sufficient.
79. Imagine if your mother told you she was a witch. What kind of witch would she be and are there any spells you would want her to cast for you?
80. Imagine that you just found out that you were a King or Queen and ruled a beautiful foreign land. What would be your first act of duty?
81. Imagine that your aunt told you she was really your fairy godmother. Would you believe her?
82. Imagine that you were switched at birth. Write about how you would feel. Would you try to live with your “real” family?
83. If you could eat at just one restaurant for the rest of your life, where would you go and why?
84. What would you do if you saw someone drop a $100 bill? Would you stop them or would you take the money? If you took the money, what would you do with it?
85. Imagine that you won a gold medal at the Olympics. How would you feel and what sport would you compete in?
86. If you had the choice to live for one million years, would you? Why or why not?
87. If you were to be a singer in a group band, what kind of music would you sing? Which member would you be (hot, sporty, innocent, sweet) and why?
88. What is your dream job and why?
89. Imagine that you have reached the last hand at poker and you have bet everything you own. You have a good hand, but you’re not sure what your opponent has. Do you withdraw or continue playing?
90. If you were a Greek God, which one would you be and why? What do you think it would be like to live a day in their shoes?
91. Think of your worst enemy. Now write a story about yourself, from their point of view.
92. If you were forced to live in the airport for a month, what would you do?
93. Think of the last time you were at the airport and saw a family or a couple reunite. Write their story.
94. Think of the first person that you saw when you left the house this morning. What were they wearing and what do you think they were on their way to do?
95. What kinds of letters do you think go through the mail every day?
96. What do you think it would be like to work in a mailroom?
97. What type of award would you want to win at school, work or in the world? What would you have to do to win the award? Write the speech you would give when accepting the award.
98. If you were a mad scientist, what kinds of experiments would you conduct?
99. If magic were to exist and you lived in a magical world, what kind of powers would you posses?
100. If you were to make peace with your worst enemy, what would you say to them and how would things change from there on out?
101. If you had to choose between life without an arm or a leg, which would you choose, and why?
102. Would you give up the use of your thumbs for a pair of wings? Why or why not?
103. Imagine what it would be like to have wings and write a story about where you would go and what you would do when you got there.
104. Would you rather have a jet pack or a deep-sea submarine at your disposal?
105. Write about the life of a grape, from the vine to the table – or bottle of wine.
106. Imagine what it would be like to fall in love on a T.V. dating show.
107. If you could only have one breakfast meal for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
108. If you could only have one lunch meal for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
109. If you were any food item, what would you be and why? What do you think your choice says about who you are?
110. Write a story from the perspective of a t-shirt in the washing machine.
111. Write about what it would be like to be a sock in the dryer. Think of how hot it gets in there!
112. Write about your family members, but instead of writing about them as people, write about them as fruit. What kind for fruit would your mother be? Sweet or sour?
113. If you had the option to live on another planet, would you and why? What would be different and would aliens live there?
114. What do you think it would be like to meet an alien straight off a UFO? Do you think they would be friendly or scary?
115. Write a story about a person that befriends an alien and they travel to the moon and back. What do you think this person’s family and friends would think about this friendship?
116. What do you think an alien land would look like? Would the sky be a different color? Would there be water? What would it smell like?
117. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten? What was the texture like and did you like it?
118. What was the best food you have ever eaten? What did it taste like and why was it the best?
119. What would the ingredients be for your very own, signature exotic meal?
120. Imagine if you were preparing a meal for your worst enemy. What would the ingredients be?
121. Imagine if you were preparing a meal for your best friend. What would the ingredients be?
122. Think of an adventure that you went on recently. Write about an ant taking that same adventure.
123. Imagine being an ant. Write about life from an ant’s perspective.
124. From the perspective of a bear, what would it be like to run into people in the forest?
125. Write about what a bee or wasp thinks when it encounters a human.
126. Do you know a hero? Write their story from their point of view.
127. What do you think is a heroic act? Do you think you would ever be a hero?
128. Imagine what it would be like to have a conversation with someone and neither of you knew the other person’s language.
129. Imagine what it would be like to write 300 writing prompts.
130. What is the hardest exam that you ever took? How did you feel after you took it?
131. What do you think life is like as a worm?
132. Reflect on the saying: “Live with no regrets.”
133. Imagine that you are living in a big city. How would your life be better? How would your life be worse?
134. What would life be like if you were 50 feet tall?
135. What would life be life if you were one foot tall?
136. If you were to lose one of your senses, which one do you think you could do without?
137. If you had a sixth sense what would it be and how would you use it?
138. Imagine what it would be like to watch all of your worldly possessions burn in a house fire.
139. If there was a house fire and you could only save one item in the house, what would it be and why?
140. If your house was burning down and your pet was inside, would you run back inside to save it?
141. Imagine what it would be like to win the Super Bowl.
142. Imagine what it would be like to lose the Super Bowl.
143. If you were in a plane that was forced to evacuate, would you take your carry-on bag even though you are not supposed to? Why?
144. If your house was flooding, what would you do?
145. If you saw someone set a fire to your neighbor’s house, what would you do?
146. If you were on a Reality TV Show, what would it be called and what would it be about?
147. If you knew someone was dealing drugs at your school, what would you do?
148. Have you ever known someone that ran a marathon? What do you think it was like?
149. Imagine that you are on a mission to save the world. Who would you bring with you?
150. How is chocolate made?
151. How are chocolate truffles made? Use your imagination here!
152. Imagine that you are an iron smith living in the 1100’s.
153. Imagine being an orphan in the medieval times.
154. Imagine what it would be like to be a prince or a princess in the medieval times.
155. Think of the first person that you saw today, write their biography.
156. Write the biography of your third grade teacher.
157. Write the biography of a homeless person that lives in New York City.
158. Think about your parents. Write either your mother’s or father’s biography.
159. Write your own autobiography.
160. Write the biography of the oldest item in your house.
161. If you could invent any type of snack mix, what would you put in it? What would it taste like?
162. Imagine what it would be like to hitch-hike across America.
163. If you saw someone hitch-hiking, would you pick them up?
164. Imagine a world where the only transportation is trains.
165. Have you been on many train rides? What is your favorite part about riding a train? If you’ve never been on a train, imagine it!
166. Write a story about a man, a woman and a talking monkey that are stuck in the same train compartment for ten hours.
167. Imagine what it would be like to be stuck in an elevator.
168. Imagine being stuck in an elevator with a lion.
169. Imagine being stuck in an elevator with your worst enemy.
170. Write about being stuck in an elevator with a homeless person.
171. Imagine being stuck in an elevator with someone that talks a lot.
172. What would it be like to be stuck in an elevator with your best friend?
173. What would happen if you were stuck in an elevator for five years and had an endless supply of Rubik’s Cubes?
174. Imagine a life where every person was blind.
175. Imagine that you were the only person in the entire world that wasn’t blind. How would your life change?
176. What is your favorite hobby? Why?
177. How did you become interested in your favorite hobby?
178. Is there a sport or hobby that you want to take up? What is it? How do you think it would change your life?
179. Have you ever played a team sport? What was the best part about playing with the team?
180. Invent a new instrument. What does it look and sound like?
181. Write about your favorite band from the lead singer’s perspective.
182. What is your favorite instrument and why? Can you play this instrument?
183. What is one personality trait that you wish you had? Why would you want to have that trait?
184. What is one thing about yourself that you love? Why?
185. Can you keep a secret? Why or why not?
186. Have you ever let a secret slip? Who did you tell and why?
187. Imagine that you found a secret passageway in your house. Would you explore it? Where would it lead?
188. If you could build a secret passageway in your school, where would it lead and why?
189. If you could see music in the air, what do you think it would look like? Would there be different colors for different genres?
190. Describe your favorite color to a blind person.
191. Describe your favorite taste.
192. Describe your favorite smell. What does it make you think of?
193. What does the scent of vanilla make you think of?
194. What does the scent of rotten eggs remind you of?
195. What does the scent of gasoline make you think about?
196. Finish this sentence and elaborate: “The room was dimly lit and smelled of burning wood…”
197. Write a story based on this sentence: “The sweet smell of baking cookies makes me think of…”
198. Invent a new gaming system. How would it be different than the Xbox or the Wii?
199. If you knew you only had five more years in this life, what would you do with your time?
200. Imagine what it would be like to spend one night in jail. What was the crime you committed?
201. Imagine what it would be like to spend 100 years in jail.
202. What is your favorite video game character? What do you think life is like from their perspective?
203. Invent a new word. What language does the word come from and what is the meaning of the word?
204. If you were to invent a new language, what would you call it and who would speak it? Would it be a hard language to understand or learn?
205. What if humans could only communicate with their eyes? How do you think things would be different?
206. Write about thunderbolts from Zeus’s perspective.
207. Write about immortality from a Greek God’s perspective.
208. If you were immortal, how would your life be better?
209. If you were immortal, how would your life be worse?
210. If you could choose to have one pet by your side for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
211. Write the biography of your latest pet. Where was your pet born? What kinds of activities does your pet love to do?
212. What would it be like to live on the sun?
213. What would it be like to live on Mars?
214. What would it be like to live in outer space? Think about not having to deal with any gravity.
215. How did you spend last New Year’s Eve? Was it fun?
216. How do you think you will spend your next New Year’s Eve?
217. What was the most physically challenging thing you have ever done? Why was it so hard?
218. What was the most emotionally challenging thing you have ever done? Why was it so hard?
219. Think of an event that you anticipated in the last year. What was the event and how did you feel when it finally arrived?
220. Imagine that you saw a man limping down the street. Write a story about why he was limping.
221. Write about what you think your dog does while you are not at home.
222. Imagine what it would be like to be a mountain lion.
223. Imagine what life would be like if you were a fox.
224. Imagine what life would be like if you were a camel.
225. Write a story starting with the sentence: “At first I thought it was just gold then I realized it was much, much more.”
226. What do you think your mom would do if you brought home a pet squirrel?
227. Imagine that you were walking on the beach and found a giant pearl. What would you do with it?
228. Imagine that you were stuck on an island where the islanders wanted to fatten you up – then eat you!
229. Write about the things that the bottom of your shoe sees.
230. Write about a pair of shoes or a jacket at a thrift store.
231. Do you like snowy weather? Why? What is your best memory of the snow?
232. Do you like hot, sunny weather? Why?
233. What is your favorite memory in the fall?
234. What is your favorite memory in the winter?
235. What is your favorite memory in the spring?
236. What is your favorite memory in the summer?
237. Write a story with the sentence: “They come and visit me in the middle of the night!”
238. Imagine what it would be like to live in Ancient Egypt.
239. Imagine what it would be like to be mummified.
240. Imagine what it would be like to be a tomb raider trapped in a booby-trapped tomb.
241. Write about a journey through the Sahara Desert to the Egyptian Pyramids.
242. What would it be like to build a pyramid in Ancient Egypt?
243. If you were to live in any time period, what century would you live in and what kinds of events would you witness?
244. Do you think unicorns ever existed? Would you want one as a pet?
245. Write the story of a knight in shining armor.
246. Write about a damsel in distress.
247. Write the story of the Beauty and the Beast from the Beast’s perspective.
248. Write about what you would do if a stranger gave you a big box wrapped in gold paper on the street.
249. What would you do if you found a stranger sleeping on your couch when you got home from work/school?
250. Write about breaking into someone’s house. Would you have an elaborate plan? Would you steal anything?
251. Imagine being on a small boat in the middle of the ocean during a big storm.
252. Start a story with the word “inspiration”.
253. Start a story with the word “anger”.
254. Write a story called: “Things My Pig Eats”
255. If you could have any color of hair, what color would you choose and why?
256. If you were going to change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be and why?
257. Imagine that you see a lost puppy. Write about its owner and why the puppy is lost.
258. Would you ever ride a motorized scooter? Why or why not? If you have ridden one, did you like it?
259. What was the most daring thing you have ever done? What made it daring and why did you do it?
260. What was the most dangerous thing that you have ever done? Why did you do it and how did you feel afterwards.
261. What is one of the most embarrassing experiences of your life? Why was it so embarrassing and how did you get over it?
262. Have you ever embarrassed someone you love? What made you do it and how did you feel afterwards?
263. What is one of the strangest places you have ever been? Why was it so weird and did you like the strangeness?
264. If you were to create a fun house at a carnival, what kinds of games and tricks would you put in it and why?
265. What is your favorite ride at the amusement park? What is the ride called and why do you love it so much?
266. Imagine there is a strange woman following you around in the grocery store. Would you confront her?
267. Write a story about following someone from a stalker’s point of view.
268. If you were to give someone one million dollars, who would it be and why?
269. If you were to receive one million dollars in the mail, would you spend it or would you be suspicious?
270. If someone gave you one million dollars but said you couldn’t spend it on clothing, electronics or food, how would you spend the money?
271. How did leopards get their spots?
272. Why do tigers have stripes?
273. Write about the world from a giraffe’s perspective.
274. Imagine that you and your crew are lost at sea at night when suddenly you see the bright light of a light house. Write the story about how you get the ship to shore.
275. Imagine that you are in a foreign country and a wrinkled, old woman comes up to you and offers you traditional food. Would you eat it? If so, would it taste good?
276. Imagine what it is like to observe a holiday celebrated by a different country than your own.
277. Write about Christmas from the Christmas tree’s perspective.
278. Write about Thanksgiving from the turkey’s perspective.
279. When was the last time you saw fireworks? Who were you with and why were you watching fireworks?
280. Imagine what it would be like to experience the life of your favorite celebrity for just one night.
281. What would you do if your favorite celebrity asked you to be their friend to better understand “normal” life?
282. What if your favorite female celebrity came up to you in the middle of the street and gave you their purse? What kinds of things would you find inside?
283. What if your favorite celebrity came up to you in the middle of the street and slapped you in the face?
284. If you were the paparazzi, what celebrity would you follow and what kinds of crazy things would you do to take their photo?
285. What would you do if a stranger handed you an envelope that had a plane ticket to China and $1,000 in it?
286. What would you do if you received an email from a long lost sister that you’d never met?
287. What would you do if you got a phone call from a woman you didn’t know and she said she was your real mother?
288. Have you ever been in a haunted house? Would you ever want to visit one?
289. Begin a story with the sentence: “When I entered the room, I saw a pearly white figure floating in the corner.”
290. If you could invent any “app” for a smartphone, what would it do and do you think it would be popular?
291. Do you think morals are important? What do you think is the most important moral?
292. If you could teach future generations one life-lesson, what would it be and why?
293. If you could only remember one memory for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
294. If you could erase one memory, what would it be and why?
295. What is one piece of advice you wish you would have gotten at a younger age? Do you think it would have an effect on your life today?
296. If you could only see one color, what color would you choose and why?
297. Invent a new breed of dog. What would it look like and what would it be called?
298. Imagine living in a two bedroom house with 15 cats and six dogs. Would you be able to survive the chaos?
299. Imagine living in the stables with the horses.
300. Write about life from a three-toed sloth’s perspective.